Saving a map
To save a map from the Spatial Portal (ALA's mapping and analysis tool), follow these steps:
- Go to the Spatial Portal.
- Add features like Species, Area or Layers to map, as required.
- Expand Map left or down if required.
- Zoom In or Out as required.
- Use Snipping Tool to capture screenshots (Windows) or How to take a screenshot on your Mac and follow the steps to save the map to a file.
Saving a map for publications
If you are seeking a way to produce a small map of say a species or assemblage distribution, keep it simple. Here are some ideas that should be useful for producing simple maps:
- Select the Outline basemap option in the legend. This provides for black country boundaries on a white base; ideal for publication.
- If desired, use Add to Map | Layers to add States and Territories, IBRA, IMCRA or similar simple polygon layer. Your choice will depend on what you want to show.
- Use Add to Map | Species to map a species or assemblage to map the occurrence records.
- Use the legend parameters to ensure the points are rendered as you want them.
- Zoom and pan to display the area of interest.
- Use the snipping tool as per Saving the Map above.
Material adapted from the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia by Atlas of Living Australia for the Vermont Atlas of Life.