To include a record in the VAL the only information needed is:
- a unique identifier for each record (e.g. an ID, occurrenceID or catalogNumber field)
- the basis of record (observation, specimen, still image, movie, sound)
- a recognizable species name (scientific or common name)
- an indication of location (coordinates, a recognizable place name, a polygon).
- date of the observation (preferably day, month, and year of the observation, but if you do not have all of that information, provide what you can).
Additional information produces a higher ‘quality’ record, where ‘quality’ means that users can more easily determine its ‘fitness for use’ eg can it be used for analysis, modelling or an environmental impact assessment.
See also Data upload templates.
Material adapted from the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia by Atlas of Living Australia for the Vermont Atlas of Life.